Good morning, kittens & dawgs! February is the month of love, and we typically think romance with Cupid sporting hearts to pierce with his arrow. But, heartbreaks are also found in February and we all know nothing hurts like a romantic break-up, but a band breakup?! Well…that’s a double heartbreaker ~ for the group and their fans. This morning, I’m sharing another band breakup greatest hits in my newest addition to Breaking up is hard to do series with…
The Mamas and The Papas
Front center: Michelle Phillips; Left to right: Denny Doherty, Cass Elliot, and John Phillips
The Mamas and The Papas sold 40 million records worldwide ~ 5 albums and 17 singles, 6 making the top 10 list. This American folk rock band, blended harmony with the sound of the 60s beat from 1965-68 before officially breaking up in 1971. What caused the group to split?
In 1968 while the band was in London John Phillips embarrassed Cass Elliot in front of her icon Mike Jagger; cutting into the middle of their conversation disputing facts about the story Elliot was sharing of her own arrest with Jagger. Humiliated, she screamed at Phillips and stormed out of the room ready to dissolve the band that very night. Unofficially, the group did part ways, but legal ties kept the band together till they fulfilled their record contract obligations.
This morning, visit or revisit the greatest hits of The Mamas and The Papas!
00:00 California Dreamin’
02:42 Dedicated To The One I Love
05:43 I Call Your Name
08:21 Twelve Thirty (Young Girls Are Coming To The Canyon)
11:49 Creeque Alley
15:42 Dancing In The Street
19:32 For The Love Of Ivy
23:16 Go Where You Wanna Go
25:46 My Girl
29:22 Look Through My Window
31:32 Words of Love
34:50 Twist and Shout
37:45 I Saw Her Again
41:00 Dream A Little Dream Of Me
44:16 Trip, Stumble and Fall
46:56 Monday, Monday
Every time, I hear the song ~ San Francisco, I always think of the movie, The Rock. Do you associate any of The Mamas and The Papas tunes with anything in particular? Which song is your favorite?
Thanks for the dance. Let’s keep the party going, link up and join the fun at XmasDolly. I hope to see you tomorrow on Cathy Chat. Have a tunetastic week!
Good-morning, kittens & dawgs! February is the month of love, and we typically think romance with Cupid sporting hearts to pierce with his arrow. But, heart breaks are also found in February and we all know nothing hurts like a romantic break up, but a band breakup?! Well…that’s a double heart breaker ~ for the group and their fans. This morning, I’m continuing to share hits of a one the messiest band breakups mentioned in Rolling Stone’s 2013 article in my addition of Breaking up is hard to do series part II with…
Good-morning, kittens & dawgs! In 2013 The CW aired a new TV series based on Mary, queen of Scots called Reign. We tried following, but life’s demands got in the way. Thankfully, Netflix picked up Reign. We watched season one with each episode filled with elements of suspense, secrets, deceit, passion, or murder. What more can you ask of a series? BINGO! We’re totally hooked. A total surprise to us, too. Have you watched Reign?
Adelaide Kane ~Mary, queen of Scots, (L) Torrance Coombs ~ Sebastian, (R) Toby Regbo ~ Francis *borrowed image*
Good-morning, kittens & dawgs! February is the month of love, and we typically think romance with Cupid sporting hearts to pierce with his arrow. But, heart breaks are also found in February and we all know nothing hurts like a romantic break up, but a band breakup?! Well…that’s a double heart breaker ~ for the group and their fans. This morning, I’m sharing hits of a one the messiest band breakups mentioned in Rolling Stone’s 2013 article in my addition of Breaking up is hard to do series part I with…
is for…. Oh drats! Here I am rushing through my homework. Please, don’t tell Miss Jenny. Thankfully, it wasn’t because I was dilly dallying around this week. Instead, I ‘ve been writing some delightful posts. I’m particularly fond of my darling new children’s story What’s Happening To My Teeth which I hope you will read.
This morning, I was determined to tackle my ‘D’ assignment, but wouldn’t you know it blogger was down! I nearly became discomposed when I got that darn error message, but now I feel dandy since it wasn’t too much of a discomfort.
Believe it or not, ever since last week I had my ‘D’ word picked out. Although at the last moment, my sleepy brain became distracted with another ‘D’ word and so I decided to go with….
This is a lovely folk song and with my Irish heritage I can hear Ireland’s bagpipes call me to dedicate my Alphabe-Thursday post to the ballad ‘Danny Boy“.
“Danny Boy” was written by an Englishmen, Frederic Weatherly, in 1910. Weatherly was not just a lyricist, but a lawyer, author, and broadcaster. The lyrics were originally written for a different tune, but Weatherly changed the words to fit the Irish tune, “Londonderry Air” in 1913 after his sister-in-law in America sent him a copy. This new arrangement was first recorded in 1915 by Ernestine Schumann-Heink. Weatherly gave the song later to the vocalist Elsie Griffin, who popularized the song in the new century.
Over the years, many artists such as Glenn Miller, Judy Garland, Bing Crosby, Elvis Presley, Tony Bennett, and Carly Simon to name a few recorded this famous Irish folk. This is a widely recognizable tune around the globe, thanks to Pop culture using this song in countless films and TV shows.
Thanks to Miss Jenny for hosting Alphabe-Thursday. This is such a fun meme, you won’t want to miss out joining the weekly fun assignments!
My lovely blog friend, Amanda hosts the weekly meme, Thursday’s Two Questions that I enjoy participating in for which I’d like to say, “Thanks for continuing this ‘get-to-know’ one another better meme with impromptu questions!”
Now, here are my T2Q. They are totally off the cuff this morning. My brain hasn’t really gotten woken up yet. With that being said, what do you think is on my mind???? You got it, COFFEE!
1) How do you prefer your coffee?During the week mornings, I usually fix a cup of instant coffee. Yeah, I know bad stuff, but I don’t really care to make the extra effort just for myself most mornings. However, the weekends are a different story. Usually, we drink a national brand such as Maxwell House in the mornings on the weekends and at night while we’re relaxing in front of the TV I will make a dark roast coffee such as Seattle’s Best or Starbucks.
2) Are you a regular customer of Starbucks or another gourmet coffee shop? If so, tell me which you prefer and what is your usual cup of Joe? As you know, I’m a SAHM. My opportunity to have coffee away from home is rare, but when I do get out to run fun errands then I love to splurge on myself with a cup of latte usually whatever their special is for that day at either Seattle’s Best in Borders Bookstore or a nearby Starbucks. To do this every day would be expensive, but once in a while won’t break my piggy bank, right? =D
Another fun ‘get-to-know’ one another meme is Dollycas’ Thoughts.
1. What is your favorite thing to do on a sunny bright Spring day? Being a SAHM, I’m often times confined to my four walls doing stuff indoors all day with, exception for light gardening. On the weekends, though, I love taking advantage of sunny days by running fun errands where I can walk around a plaza for hours and hours. I’m not a sun worshiper. I don’t like the extreme heat of summer. That’s just not my cup of tea. The spring sun’s warmth is nice, though, and I really do enjoy being out in short spurts. That’s why I love going from store to store in a plaza on beautiful sunny spring days!
2. What is your favorite color? Does this give you a hint???
3. Do you have a favorite month of the year? I haven’t really thought about having a favorite month, but I would have to pick June. We’ll be celebrating our 32nd anniversary on the 9th. That’s a lot of years, isn’t it? To think, the years have really evaporated on us, too. Being married to the same man for that many years has not been a pill in the least. Instead, it’s been a near honeymoon experience the entire time. I’m married to my very best friend, you know? I’m so blessed. God’s hand picked DH for me and I couldn’t have done a better job if I had tried. I prayed for God to send me a perfect mate and He delivered!