Welcome Kittens & Dawgs! Last month while visiting some of the western North Carolina mountain communities, we went through Lake Lure. You may recall a couple of years ago I shared images of the Lake Lure Inn with you. That’s it across the lake.
Facing the Lake Lure to my right you’d be heading toward Asheville. Not far from the Inn is the police department and public parking where we discovered a nice walking trail. It was a lovely day for late December and the temperature was nice.
We didn’t spend too much time here but I could’ve have easily. We were on our way to Forest City, which you may remember I shared with photos a few weeks ago.
There were a dozen or more geese feeding in the park. They didn’t seem too worried about us and made very little effort to scurry away. Oh sure they honked and waddled a bit but that’s about it. A few acted like they were posing for me. 🙂
Please join my linky party if you have photos to show off today!
Next is my Wednesday Hodgepodgesegment hosted by Joyce. This is an excellent way to get to know your fellow blogger and you’re invited to play alone. Here are my responses.
1. What keeps you blogging?Blogging is a way for me to stay connected with others. Years ago, I pen palled a lot. I had nearly 200 friends around the globe who I wrote to regularly. However, as I got more active with the internet this part of my life slipped and while I tried keeping up with email that eventually dwindled. AlthoughI initially began blogging to promote my children’s book which fizzled eventually but amazingly, I discovered a wonderful circle of friends. The blogging platform lets me share my creativity with others and allows me to enjoy what others have to offer. So, what keeps me blogging? It’s you, my friends! 😉
2. Some people like to travel in the winter months. Do you enjoy the beach in winter? According to Southern Living the best U.S. beach towns to visit this winter are – St Simons Island (Georgia), Hilton Head (South Carolina), Bald Head Island (North Carolina), Seaside (Florida), Bay St. Louis (Mississippi), Cape San Blas (Florida), South Padre Island (Texas), Folly Beach (South Carolina), Chincoteague (Virginia), Duck Key (Florida), Nags Head (North Carolina), and Fairhope (Alabama)
Have you been to any of the towns listed (in any season)? Which on the list appeals to you most this winter?I am not a beach person but if I were to visit one during the winter then it would be somewhere in Florida. The Carolinas or Virginia beaches wouldn’t be warm enough to suit me. Not having been to Texas then I can’t say how the winters are there but we did visit Naples Florida early spring when it was still a bit too chilly here and we loved the temps that far south.
3. What’s a song you’re embarrassed to know all the lyrics to? Are you really embarrassed or do just think you should be? These days, I don’t think I know all the lyrics to any song but if I did I don’t think I’d be embarrassed to admit that I did because very little embarrases me.
4. When you were a kid what’s something you thought would be fantastic as an adult, but now that you’re an adult you realize it’s not all that fantastic?Being grown up and while it has its perks, there are times I miss the worry-free life of a kid. You know the burdens moms and dads carried that we now find heaped on our shoulders? Yeah, you get it, right? I couldn’t understand just how good it was to be a kid even for a short time. Will kids ever learn to not wish their days away?
5. Share a quote you hope will inspire you in 2018.
6. Insert your own random thought here.Last Friday, I shared the original picture with my SWF pals. I love to tinker and maniuplate to re-invent my photos, so I ran the image through the Brushstrokes app on my iPad and I liked the final project. What do you think? Unfortunately, I did not take note of the steps I used in my photo-art creation. 🙁
Have a good day and please join me tomorrow for Thursday2Q!
Good-morning, kittens & dawgs! Last week, Kisma shared Getting to know me…2018. I like the idea and I decided to play along. I lifted the questions from her webpage with the original author’s link back at the end, so please visit both bloggers. Grab a cup of coffee and listen to the below US Top 40 playlist while you read my first edition of “Get to Know Me 2018“.
0. Share your profile picture if you have one. I use this picture on my blog profile.
However, if you want to see my mug shot, I mean my beautiful face then look under my About Cathy section.
1. Who are you named after? My grandma told me I was named after her best friend, Kathleen but when I asked my mom she didn’t have an answer to why she named me Cathy. Incidentally, my grandma spelled my name with a “K” her entire life. She was the only one to do it in the family until this past Christmas when half of my aunts/uncles addressed me as “Kathy”. What’s with that? I signed our Christmas card with Cathy and still my name is misspelled. *smack forehead*
2. Do you like your handwriting? Yep, I like it. I use a hybrid cursive style between old school and Italic handwriting. DH refers to it as decorative and tells me to use clear, print style lettering on envelopes for legibility. lol
3. What is your favorite lunch meat? Turkey & Cheese. That doesn’t sound lean but per slice it only 25 or 30 calories. It has fewer calories than Bologne or other lunch meats and I actually prefer it. 🙂
4. Longest relationship? I’m assuming we’re speaking of one’s significant other, right? This June, DH and I will celebrate 39 years of marriage and September marks our 42nd anniversary as a couple. But…I’ve known DH most of my life. I reckon since we survived nearly 42 years of togetherness then we may as well stick it out. What do you think? 🙂
5. Do you still have your tonsils? Yep.
6. Would you bungee jump? Are you kidding? Well…it depends how much you will pay me? No pay, then never mind the cost isn’t worth all the tea in China. I’ll keep my feet over solid ground thank you!
7. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off? I have a pair of tennis shoes I do not untie. I have them laced and tied loose enough for me to slip them on and off. These are the ones I wear for quick trips outside to get the mail or what ever. My regular sneakers I do tie/untie.
8. Favorite ice cream? That’s a tough choice because I never meet an ice cream that I didn’t like but I’d say my favorite is Chocolate Peanut Butter. I usually pick chocolate varieties over vanilla every time.
9. What is the first thing you notice about people? I’m not totally sure but I think it’s the face in general. I notice if a person is happy, sad, angry, trusting, suspicious, old, young, quizzical, bewildered, or any other expressions. After some of the news articles, I’m going to pay even more attention to anyone approaching me. It’s scary to think of how crazy, evil some people are throwing acid or other substances in people’s faces.
10. Football or baseball? Football.
11. What color pants are you wearing? Red sweatpants. It’s winter. I like snuggly warm stuff for lounging around the house or doing chores.
12. Last thing you ate? By the time you read this answer it is for last Wednesday morning and that would be breakfast – an egg, a biscuit, and gravy. Yum!
13. If you were a crayon, what color would you be? My favorite color, PINK!
14. Favorite smell? I guess I’d have to say “the best part of waking up…” fresh brewed coffee. Mmm, good!
15. Who was the last person you spoke to on the phone? The receptionist at DH’s eye surgeon to request a refill on his script.
16. Hair color? Sandy brown spackled with glitter. Doesn’t that sound better than….shhh… gray?.
17. Eye color? Hazel-green. Of course, this changes. Sometimes I have hazel-brown or hazel-gray eyes depending on the light hitting my eyes.
18. Favorite foods to eat? Pizza, Mexican, and hamburgers!
19. Scary movies or happy endings? Definitely happy endings!
20. Last movie you watched?
21. Favorite Holiday? Christmas.
22. Beer or Wine? Neither. I don’t drink alcoholic beverages. Blah!
23. Night owl or early bird? Early bird.
24. Favorite day of the week? Friday.
25. Can you crack an egg one-handed? I can but I haven’t purrfected it. Sometimes I get a little messy.
26. Coffee or Tea? I’m a coffee drinker but I do enjoy hot tea when it’s cold. Needless to say, I’ve been drinking a lot of it lately.
27. Favorite go to beverage? Water mostly but I do like having Diet Rite with dinner especially on the weekends.
28. Mac or PC? I love Apple products! We converted from PC to Mac in 2007 but we still have a Windows based laptop & desktop computer. They aren’t used very much, though. In fact, I really need to update the security programs on both.
29. Do you prefer to read or watch TV? I’m not much for reading other than blogs so I prefer to watch TV.
30. Which three of your favorite bloggers you would like to know more about? (link to their about page if they have one) I welcome the chance to get to know all of my readers, so if you like this concept then please lift these questions below to create your own post and don’t forget to do a pingback to my blog so I’ll know to stop by to check it out!
I’m linking up taking a HOT coffee break with Stacy Uncorked and Eugenia @BrewNSpew this morning and you’re invited to come with and let me remind you to visit again tomorrow for not-so Wordless Wednesday.
Nikon D7000 capture, slight photo adjustment in Pixelmator
Welcome Kittens & Dawgs! I’m still going through my camera roll revisiting last month’s Christmas outing. I took this shot in Rutherfordton which is about a 15 minute drive from last week’s featured photo shoot. I loved the decorations gracing these two quaint structures that make up the Carrier Houses Bed & Breakfast.
Next is my Wednesday Hodgepodge segment hosted by Joyce. This is an excellent way to get to know your fellow blogger and you’re invited to play alone. Here are my responses.
1. January is National Mentoring Month. Have you ever had a mentor? Been a mentor? How would you rate the experience?I have not served as a mentor in an official capacity but aren’t we all mentors? Sometimes we are mentors without knowing that we are. Friends look to us for guidance, especially those younger than us and if we’re parents then we are to our children. Helping others to see what they already know is a satisfying feeling.
2. What current trend makes no sense to you?Men’s hair fashion. If you’re like me then you remember long hair of the 70s, then big hair of the 80s. These days you have guys with long hair who like to wear it up in a bun. What I’d like to shout to these idiots is “Seriously, dude are you trying to look like your grandma?” How can anyone think this looks good or cool or anything other than DUMB! But, we live in a society of sheep. If one person does it then everyone follows. I have an idea, why not follow that person over a cliff? Okay, not really but…you might as well you stupid heads! This trend only doesn’t make sense it annoys me. Can you tell?
3. I saw a cartoon on Facebook highlighting a few ‘weird’ things that make you happy as an adult. The list included-writing with a nice pen, having plans canceled, freshly cleaned sheets, eating the corner brownie, cleaning the dryer lint screen, and sipping coffee in that brief time before anyone else wakes up. (Credit for the cartoon goes here) Of the ‘weird’ things listed which one makes you happiest? What is one more ‘weird’ thing you’d add to the list? Slipping beneath freshly launderedsheets always brings a smile to my face. Sometimes if I stretch the imagination I can smell that lined dry scent.I do not line dry anything but if I had a bit of property then I’d love to have a clotheslineto hang things in warm weather.
5. Describe life in your 20’s in one sentence.During my 20s, I felt conflicted with who I was and what I wanted but by the time I turned 27 I felt a peace with where I was in my life.
6. Insert your own random thought here. Just down the street from The Carrier Houses Bed & Breakfast (featured photograph) is the Rutherfordton courthouse. According to their website, it’s the largest Christmas tree in North Carolina. It wasn’t dark enough for the lights to show but you can see the string of lights are lit. The star is on as well but against the sky it’s not easily seen with the eye and it definitely didn’t pick up in my photograph. Downtown Rutherfordton is a lovely, quaint area and I do want to go back during the Christmas season again…maybe at night. 😉
I captured this photo with my iPhone 8, then slightly adjusted the exposure in Pixelmator.
Thanks for dropping by, folks. Have a good day and I hope you’ll visit me tomorrow for Thursday Two Questions (#T2Q)!
Taylor Davis is young violinist I stumbled upon during a recent BoTB showdown. I liked her style and found some of her original songs on YouTube.
Howdy, Kittens & Dawgs! How’s the new year going for ya so far? All is well here but then it’s too early to say for sure. Anywho, I’m trying to get back to some of my blogging basics in which I did a lot of Q&A prompts. Years ago, I co-hosted Thursday Two Questions with another blogger. It was a great way to start conversation while learning new things about one another. The object is to either use questions posed here or to create your own (if you choose to come up with your own then please respond to mine in comments for others to get to know you better).
1. Name one thing about 2017 that you’re glad to say goodbye to? I’ll state the obvious, DH’s eye problem. I hope that is far, far behind us and that only things will only improve.
2. Tell me one thing that has you excited about the new year? Other than the getting the other two surgeries out-of-the-way for DH’s eye which we hope will fix him right up then the one thing that really has me excited is the prospect of moving into a new home. This is something I’ve wanted for years and we’re committed to trying to see this dream turn into a reality. *fingers crossed*
I hope you enjoyed my little Q&A session. Eventually, I hope to include other Thursday hop connections. If you visit my Daily Blog Hop page you’ll find a few listed. Some of which I participated in last year but my timing was off and I couldn’t latch on to them properly. I hope to change that this year. Wish me luck! I invite you to stroll back over tomorrow for some giggles and a whole lot more of Friday Fun Stuff! X💋X💋, Cathy
Welcome Kittens & Dawgs! I hope y’all are enjoying the New Year so far. I know it’s too early to tell how things will play out but let’s hope for the best shall we? I thought about doing a recap of photos taken last year but I didn’t do lot of photographing. I will share a picture or two taken over our Christmas break.
I shared this one in my Christmas Day post.
We’ve wanted to visit Forest City, North Carolina for the last two to three years after discovering it on the web but we never made it until now. It’s a beautiful little town totally decked for the holidays!
Next year, we are going to make every effort to visit earlier in the season. I used my big girl camera for the first time in months and being out of synch many of my shots were under exposed considerably, so I had to use Pixelmator to lighten them just a bit. I hope you still enjoyed the stroll through this small Christmasy town.
Next is my Wednesday Hodgepodge segment hosted by Joyce. This is an excellent way to get to know your fellow blogger and you’re invited to play alone.
1. It’s that time of year again…time for Lake Superior University to present a list of words (or phrases) they’d like to see banished (for over-use, misuse, or general uselessness) in 2018. You can read more about the decision-making process and word meaning here, but this year’s top vote getters are- unpack, dish (as in dish out the latest rumor), pre-owned, onboarding/offboarding, nothingburger, let that sink in, let me ask you this, impactful, Cofefe, drill down, fake news, hot water heater (hot water doesn’t need to be heated), and gig economy. Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you’d like to add? This sort of thing makes no difference to me. It seems like a waste of time to worry about what words are in or out. So, I really don’t have an opinion on it one way or the other, I will use what ever word(s) suit my mood.
2. What’s something you need to get rid of in the new year?Other than weight, I’d have to say a whole lot of stuff. In recent years we made a stab at getting rid of items around the house but there’s still a lot more of organizing and tossing yet to do. I suspect if we’re able to move into a new place this year then it’ll be easier for us to sort through the rumble to decide what goes and what gets thrown away. However until that time, I hope to get rid of some things before said time. It certainly will make life easier on down the line if I can do that now.
3. Where do you feel stuck? Sometimes, I feel stuck in this house. It’s been a long time dream of mine to be in a bigger place. Last year, we casually looked for a new place but with DH’s eye health and restrictions we couldn’t do anything more. We hope this year will be the year we actually can do something. Of course, he has two more surgeries set for this spring so I’m not sure if we’ll find ourselves in the same situation as last year but I certainly hope we can work around it better this year so to not put things off another year.
4. January is National Soup Month. When did you last have a bowl of soup? Was it made from scratch or from a can? Your favorite canned soup? Your favorite soup to make from scratch on a cold winter’s day?I had home-made chilli but I’m not sure if that counts as a soup, though. I reckon the last time I had soup was from a can and more than likely it was tomato soup. My favorite soup is Beef Stew and I plan on making a large pot of that really soon. We still have plenty of Christmas dinner left overs, so we’ll have this until its gone.
5. Tell us one thing you’re looking forward to in 2018.The one thing I’m looking forward to this year is getting into a new home. This is a dream but I’m hoping to turn that dream into reality. This is the first time I feel closer to turning my dream into reality, though. Of course, asI mentioned in #3 everything hinges on DH’s upcoming surgeries. It’s difficult to do these things with health-relate limitations. I’m trusting God to make a way for us.
6. Insert your own random thought here.On the night, we went to Forest City, we made a slight detour going home to see Biltmore Village. I didn’t take any pictures there but I captured the image below of the Gate House to Biltmore estates across the street with my iPhone. It sorta reminds me of gingerbread house. 🙂
Have a good day and I invite you to join me tomorrow for the return of Thursday Two Questions (#T2Q)!
Welcome Kittens & Dawgs! This is the last week in December and Christmas is now in our past. Let’s take one peak with A Christmas Tree in the Window snapped in Gatlinburg but never shared because of poor exposure and no photo editing playtime. I’m thankful to have Pixelmator to help correct my photography goofs.
Next up is ususally my Wednesday Hodgepodge segment hosted by Joyce but she’s taking me the week off. This is an excellent way to get to know your fellow blogger so I invite you to play alone next week.
For the rest of the year, I’m taking life in Blogosphere easy limiting post contributions. If you don’t wanna miss a post then I encourage you to subscribe to my email service to get notification of the latest mews on Curious as a Cathy! Have a good day! X💋X💋, Cathy
Welcome Kittens & Dawgs! A couple of years ago you may recall DH & I went to Gatlinburg on Friday afternoon and if not you can check out more photos here from that visit. This picture I did not share. It was just beginning to get dark. I used the magic of Pixelmator photo editing to create a night fall illusion.
Next is my Wednesday Hodgepodge segment hosted by Joyce. This is an excellent way to get to know your fellow blogger and you’re invited to play alone.
1. Where have you found unexpected magic or delight this holiday season? I can’t say that I found either because I always look for the magic and delight of Christmas whereever I am. Usually, it’s not hard to see both present at the same time.
2. What’s your favorite type of holiday gathering? Will you/have you gathered in your favorite way this month? I prefer quiet gatherings with initmate family members. My prayer for 2018 is to be in a bigger home to have more room for our expanding family. Sometimes, I think wouldn’t it be awesome to have a place which can accomodate our family, parents, siblings, nieces, and nephews even if it’s just once in a blue moon. Then, I remember Christmas Vacation and don’t want things getting out of hand. lol
3. Time has named ‘The Silence Breakers’ (women who came forward with stories of harassment) ‘person of the year’ for 2017. Would you agree? If not, who do you think deserves the title? Sadly, this topic while certainly needs attention, those who often time makes claims is motivated by greed not out of a sense of seeking justice. Who do I think deserves person of the year? I have no clue who to give the title to but honestly, do we need to?
4. How did you spend your time this year? Are you happy about that? Elaborate. I spent my time preparing for the holidays in increments which always makes me happy. Anytime I’m not stressing or pushing myself beyond my sanity level then all is good with the world.
5. Bid farewell to 2017 in ten words or less. I don’t think I can say good-bye to 2017 in so few words but assuming I don’t have to prefix my sentence with the words Goodbye 2017 then I’d say… lessons learned with sights on greater things in 2018!
6. Insert your own random thought here. From the same trip as my featured image, I took these photos. You can see clearly (woman in lower right corner wearing a sleeveless blouse) how mild the temperatures were the afternoon we visited Gatlinburg. Neither of us wore a jacket but by the time we got to the car the air was nippy. It was tolerable. We had a wonderful time. Anywho, the birds flocking to the sign fascinated me. I couldn’t get the exposure right. I tweaked these two image slightly in Pixelmator.
How many birds do you see?
Have a good day and please come back tomorrow for a new Christmas album feature! X💋X💋, Cathy