Are you looking for my “not-so Wordless Wednesday” post or are you a fellow shutter bug like me, if so then you’ll find it here. 😉 Otherwise, welcome to the newest edition of Way Back Wednesdays.
Memories shared in this weekly segment are generally random. Sometimes I haven’t a clue where it came from other than out of the blue I’m reminded of something, so I roll with the idea in creating a post built around the content swirling in my head and that’s where I find myself today. Let’s flashback to…
This is the year I turned 13. I was in grade 7. I remember owning suede sneakers like these…
and wearing old school striped top tube socks. Did you?
Also, these were the days when the junior high assigned girls official attire for gym class. Ours were blue and white, though. Naturally, we HATED this horrible, totally uncool outfit.
Plus, it didn’t fit right and this was the day of short shorts!
This commerical came out a few years later but Nair’s “short shorts” jingle ran through the 70s until the mid-80s (and maybe longer). Ya gotta love those short shorts and pretty legs!
I wore low-rise, floppy bellbottom pants that dragged the ground with my daddy’s t-shirts. He never could find a t-shirt when he wanted it and got a bit miffed. I’m sure my mother considered me a rebel but isn’t that the job of a mother? I know my dress code was not “adult approved”. I was way too sloppy and nothing at all like the by-gone era of the late 50 and early 60s when my folks went to school.
How many of y’all remember getting Sears catalogs? I betcha most of you do, right? I poured hours over it flipping through pages wishing for this and that. What fun!
All of stuff above I remember in passing but the mewsic has a way of staying with me hiding in the recesses of my mind. Sometimes I’ll hear a song from the past sucking back in time and others just pop in uninvited. Regardless of how the tune gets stirred its always a pleasure. I pulled together a playlist of mewsic that instantly took me way back to 1974. I hope you enjoy!
What songs do you remember most from this year? Do you have specific memories tied to these or the ones I shared?
Next, I’m visiting Joyce for her mid-week Q&A to give you a little insight of the workings of my brain and others. Feel free to play along! 😉
1. Is a picture worth a thousand words? Elaborate. I think a picture tells a open-ended story that can reflect different moods and meanings. I think that’s what this quote is getting at more than anything.
2. Have you ever driven any part of the Pacific Coast Highway? If so what was your favorite stop? If not, is this sort of trip on your bucket list? No, I haven’t been along the Pacific coast but I’d love to make that trip and this is on my wish list for someday. I don’t do “bucket” lists because that implies I don’t have much time. Tomorrow’s promised to no one, so it’s important to live in the moment but it’s okay to dream about doing things in the near or distant future.
3. How do the changing seasons affect you? As the seasons change do you find yourself looking more forward or backward? Which season-season transition bothers you most? Why do you suppose that is? I think the seasons do change me a bit. I look forward especially to fall after the hot, humid summers and the awaking of the earth after slumbering all winter with the kiss of the sun on my skin. These seasons are refreshing to the soul. I try to find the joy in winter but the short days made shorter by the gray can be hard some times and this is the one thing I love most about summer — the extended daylight with the beautiful cotton candy sunsets. I think for many it’s a mind-set. No one likes change but I every season is beautiful in its own right, it’s just trying to remember to embrace the moments because one minute it’s here and the next it’s gone!
4. It’s your birthday and you get to pick the dinner menu. What are we having? Do you ever lie about your age? Well…if it’s my birthday then I’d probably ask for Mexican food. I can eat it any day of the week! I’d go for Burrito Fajitas, Charro Beans, and Green Chile rice from Chuy’s menu. Mmm, good! Nah, I don’t think I’ve ever lied about my age. I don’t care to tell it. Maybe, there will come a day when I’ll fudge on it but I feel very good being 55. I do more than most for my age and I tell my oldest daughter who’s 29 that 55 is the new 35 and she’s gaining on me. lol
5. What’s a life lesson you’ve learned recently? That it’s best to pull back when someone doesn’t want to include you in their life. It’s frustrating and heartbreaking to wring my hands, almost begging “Please let me in your world” when it’s that’s not going happen right now. I never thought this sort of thing possible with my children but I’m living it now and all I can do is trust God to move hearts. I’m here ready for them anytime.
6. Insert your own random thought here. This is a hectic week. I’ve been busy researching optical centers in town who can get Hoya lenses. I have an eye appointment soon. I currently have Verilux lenses but they aren’t as good as the Hoya lenses. My script from five years I got Hoya and loved them. I hope they didn’t screw them up some how. That’s generally how companies do things that we like and this is an expensive deal. We can’t afford mess ups! *cross fingers* On top of figuring this out, I found a compromise made on my CC account last week. I immediately canceled the card but during the process two small transactions went through. Naturally I followed up on these charges but then we got to thinking maybe our information fell prey to that big hack a few months ago, so I spent all day yesterday changing email address and passwords. I still have my work cutout but I have a good start on it. How has this week been going for you?
That’s all for now. At this time I’m unsure how often I will bring these posts to you but I experimenting with my schedule and trying to find my way back to my older style of blogging. I encourage you to keep from missing a single post to subscribe by email to get notifications of the latest mews from Curious as a Cathy. It was such a pleasure to have your visit and I hope to see you this Friday for the return of Battle of the Bands in the Total Eclipse of the Heart showdown! X💋X💋, Cathy