Dieting is such a HEADACHE! None of us liking doing. None of us want to give up the things we love, but NONE of us want to be overweight either. Am I right? How can positive change in our eating habits be done without being overwhelming?
Here are 5 Ways to burn 500 calories that are totally doable!
- Replace whole milk for skim.
- Say goodbye to bacon and sausages, but stick with your eggs for an excellent source of protein which will maintain you longer throughout the morning hours.
- Sub high caloric condiments such as mayo with mustard or hummus to put on your bread.
- If you must have ready to eat cereals, then choose flakes over granola. These are generally lower in calories. Better still go with a bowl of old fashion oatmeal sweetened with Splenda or sprinkle cinnamon on top. This will satisfy you better than cold cereals, too.
- Avoid the fancy lattes. A 16oz version made with whole milk has a whopping 400 calories!
- Eat slowly. By doing so, you’ll eat 70% per meal because when you thoroughly chew your food this allows your body time to activate the appetite-related hormones. Set your folk down in-between bites or keep your little paws out of the potato chip bag.
- You can have your cake and eat it too, just share it with a friend.
- Don’t ever eat out of a large multi-serving container. You can’t track your portions and are more lightly to over eat.
- Never allow yourself to give into rewarding good dieting with no-no foods. Keep everything in moderation.
- Avoid cooking with refined oils by replacing with olive oil.
- Eat vegetables cooked with no oils or butter, don’t serve rice as an option.
- Begin your meal by having a broth base soup. This will slow your eating and curb your appetite. Creamy soups are high in fat and calories, so avoid!
- Use fat-free Italian dressing on your salads or bring out the flavors of your salad by using only spices.
4. Eating Desserts:
- Skip ice cream shop ice creams by replacing with fruit and berries or melons.
- Omit oils when baking by replacing with equal parts of applesauce in the recipe.
- Make your own skim milk ice cream alternative, instead of buying premium store-bought vanilla ice cream.
5. Dining Out:
- Don’t buy separate entrees. Usually, they are large enough for two people to share. Just ask for a second plate. Restaurants are happy to oblige.
- Drink a warm beverage such as hot tea sweetened with Splenda or have a low-calorie soup before your meal. Having hot liquids before a meal decreases your appetite. Another alternative is to have a salad before your meal arrives, which also helps to fill you.
- Steer away from deep-fried foods and think grilled lean meats like fish or chicken.
The first three days of any dieting regiment are the hardest, but if you can push through them then you’ll find it becomes easier and I have found the same principle to be true with exercising. Tenacity is the key!
TIP: According to a University of Michigan researcher, sleeping an extra hour a night could help a person drop up to 14 Pounds a year. (removed broken link attached to tip)
What tricks do you have up your sleeve when it comes to shaving calories from your diet?